Romsey and District Young Carers ("Romsey Young Carers") is a charity supporting young carers in Romsey and Southern Test Valley.
Romsey Young Carers aims to provide support and respite to young carers aged from five to twenty five through offering positive life experiences such as; enjoyable fun activities, the chance to improve confidence and learn new skills and by providing a safe place to discuss concerns and get support. The organisation also gives young carers the opportunity to meet young people in similar situations so that they can know that they are not alone.
The young carers' hopes, needs and views guide Romsey Young Carers in what we do. This means that although the organisation acknowledges and hopes to reduce the difficulties faced by the family as a whole, the primary focus is always the young carers themselves.
Romsey Young Carers ensures that:
- All young carers living in Romsey and Southern Test Valley are welcome to join irrespective of ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation;
- Staff and volunteers are CRB checked;
- Staff and volunteers have provided suitable referees;
- Staff, befrienders and some other selected volunteers are first aid trained;
- There are regular reviews to check that young carers, families and befrienders are satisfied at how things are going;
- There is a high ratio of helpers to young carers at clubs to enable each young carer to get support;
- All activities and outings are fully insured; and
- Charity guidelines and policies are followed.